Portable dog fences are a great option if you need to go out of the town and still want to take your dog on the go. To help you make up your mind before purchasing one of them, I will explore the features of the five best portable dog fences.
What are portable dog fences?
There are two main types of portable dog fences available on the market today:
- Physical fences. Such fences are usually made of metal or strong plastics to withstand the weight of a dog leaning on it, resist his chewing and last longer. They can be set up within a few minutes, reshaped, or adjusted outdoors or indoors. It’s also a great option to keep your dog from other animals or passengers.
- Invisible electric fences. They can be wireless or wired. They are called electric due to their working principle, as all of them come with a dog collar that receives signals from your boundary perimeter. If you choose a wired invisible dog fence, you set the boundary. Boundry with wires digging them underground around your house. But, as this type of fence is difficult to install, it can hardly be called portable. Wireless dog fence can. It has a single transmitter (a device you can set up in your house) with an adjustable radius to set the boundaries for your dog. When your dog gets close to the fence, he gets a sound alarm and/or static correction. An invisible dog fence can help those who can’t or don’t want to install a physical fence but still want to contain their pet in a restricted area. However, it’s important to mention that training is required for a dog to get used to this fencing type.
Why do I need a portable dog fence?
A portable dog fence is always a good idea when you need a temporary solution for containing your dog in a safe zone. This might also include the following situations:
- Suppose you haven’t installed a permanent fence yet. You are a freshly baked homeowner and still haven’t managed to build a fence to let your dog roam around. Then a portable dog fence is your cheap option. You can set it up whenever and however you want.
- When you want to block a specific home area, for example, if you have an active big dog or hate picking their fur everywhere you go. You can use a portable indoor fence as a barrier to access specific areas in your house but still, keep them inside with your family.
- When you travel with your dog, it doesn’t matter how far you go or the goal of a trip; sometimes, there is no other choice but to take your buddy with you. To make sure your dog doesn’t run away when scared or intrigued to explore more, a portable dog fence can keep him exactly where you want him to be.
- Puppy training. If you own a young puppy in your home, house training is essential. To teach your dog to stay within the set area and do their business as they are asked, you can start by using a portable dog fence or playpen. It’s also a helpful tool for crate training.
- You want to keep your dog away from people and other animals. If you have a breed initially interested in any encounters, or you have a small puppy that you think somebody can harm or attack. A portable physical fence is a great plan to protect your best fellow.
What are the benefits of using a portable dog fence?
Compared to permanent traditional fencing options, portable dog fences are usually better if you are looking for flexibility, durability, and a friendly price. First of all, they are easy to install and transport and can be used in different conditions. Secondly, whether it’s a wireless or physical fence, they can serve you a long time if chosen right. Finally, portable fences are usually much cheaper than permanent fences considering installation and maintenance.
How to choose the best portable dog fence?
Choosing one or another type of invisible dog fence mostly depends on individual needs. However, there are general things to consider before selecting each of them: Invisible wireless fences:
- They usually cover a circular area, so if you have an oddly shaped yard, it might work good enough;
- If you have a very bushy landscape, the signal from the transmitter to your dog collar might be weak.
- If you experience power cuts, some of the wireless dog fence systems might also stop working.
- They need dog training first.
Physical portable fences:
- To prevent your dog from jumping over the fence, make sure you choose the correct height of the fence.
- If you have a digger, you may have to buy additional expansions or dig your fence a few inches in the ground.
- Choose a rigid metal fence if you have a young, active, or even aggressive dog. That will be able to survive all the possible attacks.
- Consider how much you are going to travel. If you are always on the road, pick a portable dog fence that is easily foldable and lightweight, and you don’t have to struggle while assembling it.
How to install a portable dog fence?
Installing a portable dog fence is as easy as it looks. You need to connect the panels and choose where you want to set them. Here is an excellent example of a DIY portable dog fence solution.
Top 5 Best Portable Dog Fences
This heavy-duty metal fence offers a reasonable price for a great value, best suited for small-sized dogs and other pets. As it’s easily foldable, has rounded edges (less risky for your pet to get injured), and can be assembled in different shapes. It is suitable for both exercise and fun. This product would be one of the best options for traveling a lot.
- Sturdy heavy-duty construction seems reliable and safe.
- The fence is affordable or even cheap (compared to traditional fences).
- This fence is simple to install (no tools needed), fold, and is very compact – it can easily fit in your car trunk.
- It is designed to be used both indoors and outdoor.
- The fence stakes can be easily pushed to the ground for extra stability.
- There is plenty of room for two or three little dogs.
- You can connect multiple fence panels (you will have to buy them separately) and design the size and shape you want.
- Although the material of the fence is metal, some parts might rust.
- The fence has gates, but they do not have a latching system, which might not stop aggressive or active dogs from going through.
- When the fence is stacked, its frames are just 24 inches high.
Like the fence described above, this pet yard is also suitable for small dogs and puppies. And can be used either in your house or in a backyard. The thing I like the most about this fence is that it has a small doggy door. That swings on both sides, and your dog can go in and out whenever he pleases. It can be locked, so if you want your dog to stay inside the pet yard, you need to twist the key.
- The playpen is made from a highly durable material. That can resist the harsh seasons, including heavy rains, extreme sun, or snow. Anti-rust features verified.
- It has swinging doors (which can be locked) for pets to come in and get out.
- It’s easily customizable: it can serve as a pen or a gate barrier and can be turned into multiple shapes: rectangle, square, or octagon.
- The pet yard adjusts to the different surfaces and comes with skid-resistant pads.
- Multiple dogs can fit in this pet yard (if medium-sized or small).
- You can choose different colors to match your interior or exterior.
- It’s a low-budget product.
- No guidelines and instructions are included when purchasing the product. And it’s pretty tricky to assemble the fence correctly. There is a possibility to crack some fence parts when installing the fence.
- The fence is lightweight and won’t work for bigger dogs or jumpers.
This metal wire playpen is excellent for its flexibility. You can use this playpen as a kennel, playroom, crate, or as the area to train your dog. You can choose three different sizes to customize it to your needs. Or combine multiple fences to create a larger secure area. This playpen is ideal for medium-sized or bigger breeds.
- The built-in door allows easy access for your pets to come and go
- The fence is made from rust-resistant coated metal and rounded edges. Making it a safe item for your dog and preventing it from injuries.
- Height and sturdy construction are ideal if you are the owner of big dogs.
- The playpen is available at multiple heights on the market, and the playpen can also use for various pets.
- To make it steadier when placed outdoors, the pins that hold the panels together are made to sink into the ground (the soft one).
- While using this playpen indoors, you will have to figure out how to make it steadier as it can slide on tiles or wood.
- Not suitable for small dogs. They can get hurt while climbing and sticking their paws in the fence wire spacing.
If you are looking for a cheap and straightforward solution to contain your big fellow, this is your choice. Available in five configurations and different sizes. It’s best suited for dog breeds from 26 to 40 pounds. It’s effortless to set up (no tools required) and ideal for outdoor use (with ground anchors). Lightweight metal and foldable construction make the playpen simple to move around, tear down and store.
- This pen is ideal for any dog breed, as it has five different height options to choose from.
- Being so flexible due to its customizable measurements, it’s suitable for different pets’ containment.
- You can cover a mesh top for the pen to provide your dog with shade from the direct sun. Or roof from heavy rain or connect it to a create (you will have to buy them separately).
- A double step-trough latches door is great to better protect the pen against bends from your dog, pushing it and providing convenient access for your dog.
- The pen itself is fully painted and coated without any sharp edges.
- This pen includes a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Welding clamps that connect consecutive panels provide some sharp edges that could potentially cause injury.
- It might not work correctly indoors without some adjustments: you will find a way to stop the pen from sliding if your pet is leaning or jumping on it.
>>>>Check Price On Walmart<<<<
This soft playpen is a top pick for those who have little puppies or calm, well-trained dogs and love traveling. It is effortless to set up, fold, and carry around, plus it has a carrying bag where you can place this pen. The best thing about this playpen is choosing the size you want according to your needs. It gives plenty of room for your pet inside the pen, and there is almost zero possibility for your pet to get injured.
- It is suitable for indoors and outdoors.
- It comes with a removable zip-off and washable floor mat and top cover.
- The playpen is available in different sizes and colors.
- You are getting a 2 Year Warranty from the manufacturer and a 100% money-back guarantee.
- As it’s made from a soft fabric, it is lightweight and easy for storage, transport, and travel.
- The playpen comes with a waterproof bottom mat, which is also removable and washable.
- The base and top can be removed, and it’s set up with overlapping zip covers.
- Carrying back for the playpen is included.
- There are four stakes to anchor it to grass areas or other soft surfaces.
- This playpen is taller than others of the same size playpens in the market.
- Best for crate trained dogs. As untrained dogs could chew through this pen, bend it, or jump on the sides. And make this pen lose shape, move with them, or even collapse.
- Even this pen is suitable for different pets. Cats can manage to unzip by pushing their nails through their holes.
Ready to get a portable dog fence?
In this article, I sorted out the best portable dog fences I found in the market today. And pointed out their advantages and flaws to help you make up your mind and find the best option for yourself. However, I would still like to pick up number one. The winner is number 4 – MidWest Exercise Pen. I think it is the best in terms of its price, durability, portability, and flexibility to fit different needs. I love the idea I can customize the size and the shape; it is also very easy to collect and carry around, including traveling. Finally, it reflects a portable dog fence’s most essential features and benefits. What’s your choice?